BCIB Privacy Statement
BC Infrastructure Benefits Inc. (BCIB) is committed to protecting your privacy through responsible personal information management practices in accordance with British Columbia’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and other applicable laws, such as Canada’s anti-spam Legislation (CASL).
The personal information you post to BC Infrastructure Benefits Inc.’s (BCIB) social media channels may be collected by BCIB under s. 26 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) for the purposes described below. The personal information provided will not be disclosed to any other third parties unless BCIB is directed to do so by you or as required by law. Should you have any questions about the collection of this personal information please contact us at:
Telephone: (778) 783 – 1200
Mail: BC Infrastructure Benefits Inc.
Suite 1050 – 89 West Georgia Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 0N8
Personal information is recorded information about an identifiable individual, including:
- Birth date
- Personal email address
- Personal telephone number
Personal information does not include certain types of contact information which enable individuals at a place of business to be contacted, including:
- Individual’s business position, title or name
- Business telephone number
- Business address
- Business email
- Business fax number
Visiting our website
When you visit the BCIB website, our web server automatically collects the following information:
- Internet Protocol address of your device
- Domain name
- Type of device
- Operating system
- Browser type
- Pages viewed and content downloaded
This information is collected and used to monitor use and to help improve our website, and to provide you with the best possible web experience.
Digital markers (including Cookies)
A digital marker is created by a website visitor’s Internet browser to maintain certain pieces of information for the website to reference during the same or subsequent visits. Examples of digital markers are Cookies or HTML5 Web storage. Among other things, digital markers can allow a website to recognize a previous visit each time the visitor accesses the website, and track what information is viewed on a website.
BCIB uses sessional and persistent digital markers on some portions of www.bcib.ca. Digital markers are created when you visit our website. Sessional markers exist while you remain on our website, and persistent markers continue to exist after you have left our website.
During your visit, your Internet browser exchanges data with BCIB’s web server. However, the digital markers used by us do not allow us to identify individuals unless a visitor specifically informs us of their identity, e.g., registering online or sending us correspondence through the website.
We may use the website information generated through the use of digital markers and share it with other organizations with which we have a commercial relationship to measure the use and to improve the functionality and content of our website only.
You may adjust your browser settings to reject digital markers, including Cookies. However, if you refuse to accept Cookies, you may not be able to use some of the features available on our website.
BCIB utilizes web analytics tools, including Google Analytics, to gain insights into how its website is used to measure business performance and improve our customers’ online experience. Web analytics tags are applied to BCIB’s web pages to capture a limited amount of data which are used for aggregate reporting purposes.
The information captured by web analytics tools, including Google Analytics, includes:
- Internet protocol address of the computer, device or network being used
- Domain name
- Operating system
- Browser type
- Users and number of sessions
- City/region/country of origin
- Pages viewed
- Session flow
- Content downloaded
None of the information collected is used to personally identify you by BCIB or Google Analytics.
Analytics tools work by using Cookies. You may adjust your browser settings to reject digital markers, including Cookies. However, if you refuse to accept Cookies, you may not be able to use some of the features available on our website.
Collection, use & disclosure of personal information
When you contact BCIB, you may be asked to voluntarily provide personal information when you submit a question via our web form, sign up for the email newsletter, or register to be considered for work on BCIB projects. This information is required so we can communicate with you, properly answer your question or consider you for employment. This information may include your:
- Personal contact information, including email, mailing address, telephone number and fax number
- Whether or not you are an employee of BCIB
- Login and password information
- Employment and educational history
- And other details related to the subject matter you are communicating with us about
We may collect your personal information to:
- Process your application for work
- Confirm your identity and verify your professional credentials for the purposes of hiring. This information may be shared with AIRCC (Allied Infrastructure and Related Construction Council) unions, a project’s prime contractor, and/or project sub-contractors, and/or other prospective employers.
- Process your sign up for a BCIB e-newsletter
- Comply with statutory, legal or regulatory requirements
- Contact and correspond with you, including sending you notifications and information you have requested, or communicating with you about commercial or administrative matters. In addition, only if you opt to receive such communications, we will send you promotional information and other notices about our services.
We may also collect personal information to improve our website services, to administer our website, and to protect the security of the website when necessary. You can choose not to provide certain requested personal information, but then you may not be able to use certain services provided by BCIB or access or use certain features of our website.
Personal information is normally collected directly from you but may also be received from a third party in certain circumstances.
Your personal information will be used and disclosed only as authorized by you, or as authorized or required by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act or other applicable laws. We may share your personal information, for instance, with our employees or our service providers who need it to perform their duties and responsibilities to BCIB and with others in specific circumstances such as law enforcement, emergency contacts, or in civil proceedings. BCIB does not sell or rent personal information to third parties and will not store or access your personal information outside of Canada except with your consent or as otherwise required or authorized by law.
The personal information will be used to respond to your specific questions you send to BCIB.
The personal information will be used apply you to receive our newsletter.
If you at any point would like to unsubscribe to this service, you may do so by clicking the unsubscribe option in the newsletter template.
The personal information will be used become a member of BCIB’s workforce for select public infrastructure projects and will be used to match your skills and qualifications with appropriate trade unions or contractors. Your personal information will be disclosed to these entities strictly for this purpose. In addition, your personal information will be shared with BC Stats for the purpose of employee surveys.
Marketing and communications
If requested by you, BCIB will add you to our electronic subscription lists, including our e-newsletter. You may choose to unsubscribe to these electronic subscription lists at any time. BCIB complies with CASL, as such, if you choose to receive information about special offers and promotions, news releases or other electronic communications from BCIB, we will provide our contact information and a method to opt out of receiving further communications from us with each email or other electronic communication we send you.
BCIB collects information about recipients of its e-newsletter, including on-page user interaction, also known as click and read activity. This information is used to understand customer interest in the newsletter, including particular articles. BCIB will use this information to tailor its communications with individual customers.
Your information rights
- Access and correction: You may request access to your personal information and/or correction of your information by contacting us at the address noted below. If you seek records containing your personal information in electronic form, we will provide copies of the records in that form with our response, where it is reasonable to do so. All access requests for your personal information will be processed subject to Part 2 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
- Processing: You may request details about how we process your personal information. Subject to legal, regulatory or other requirements or circumstances, we will tell you:
Whether your personal information is being collected, used or disclosed, the categories of personal information, and the purposes for so doing; and
- Recipients or categories of recipients to whom your personal information has been disclosed.
- Consent: Where you have given BCIB your written consent to use or disclose your personal information for a specific purpose, you may at any time contact us to withdraw your consent on a go-forward basis, unless your consent was given as part of a contractual agreement or is subject to other limitations required or authorized by applicable law. If you choose to withdraw your consent, you understand you may not be able to use or receive certain services provided by BCIB that related to that consent.
- Accuracy: You can help BCIB maintain the accuracy of your information by notifying us of any changes to your personal information. When you contact us, we may ask for further details to confirm your identity. If you have an account on BCIB’s website, you can update your details when you sign in.
Retention and storage of personal information
BCIB will securely retain and dispose of personal information in accordance with its records retention schedules or as otherwise required by law. The period of the retention of your personal information will vary depending on why it was collected, and will be based on business, administrative, legal, financial or other factors. BCIB retains your personal information for at least 1 year if it has been used to make a decision affecting you. This includes when you register with BCIB.
Requesting a correction of your information
If there is a factual error in your personal information, you should first contact the BCIB department that has the information. Please provide a clear description of the error, identify where it occurs in your records, and explain how it should be corrected with supporting documentation where necessary.
If we decline to make a change, we will annotate the record with these details accordingly.
BCIB takes reasonable steps to protect your personal information. We use technological, physical and managerial procedures intended to prevent the unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification of personal information submitted to this website. Our security practices are continually evolving to ensure that the integrity and confidentiality of information and systems are maintained.
Although we have security measures in place, you should be aware there is an element of risk whenever you send or receive information using the Internet. You should always carefully consider what information you choose to share. It is also your responsibility to safeguard your user identifications, passwords or any other special identifiers used to access our website.
Links to other websites
BCIB will, as appropriate, review and update this privacy statement to ensure it is consistent with current privacy management and website administration practices.
BCIB will review and update this Privacy Statement from time to time. Please check back regularly to keep apprised of updates.
For general questions about how we administer your personal information, please email us at email@example.com.