Cowichan District Hospital Replacement Project
Experienced Equipment Operators, as well as apprentices are required in Duncan on the Cowichan District Hospital Replacement Project all throughout 2023.
Below you’ll find what certifications and other requirements are needed for this trade on this project. Requirements can change from one project to the next, so be sure to read the trade profile (this page) for the project you’re hoping to work on.
Working conditions and other requirements:
- Extended shift hours, in changing weather conditions
- Busy, noisy and dusty environments on dynamic terrains with multiple trades working together.
- Personal Protective Equipment will be required (e.g., steel-toed safety boots, safety glasses/goggles, etc.)
- Construction jobs may require workers to be in good physical condition with an ability to lift heavy weight.
- Ability to follow instructions and basic design specifications.
- Must have good observational skills and the ability to multitask.
- Have a good understanding and the ability to follow safe work procedures.
- Have good communication and interpersonal skills.
Experience, qualifications, and certifications that are considered an asset:
- Valid HEO certificate considered an asset
- Must have experience operating heavy equipment including but not limited to excavators, loaders and dozers.
- Must know how to quickly change and use different attachments and be able to work under overhead utilities and bridge deck, load trucks in tight workspace.
- Must be able to understand proper sloping, trenching and excavation procedures.
- Be able to perform daily maintenance and safety checks of the equipment.
- Ensure a sound understanding of the issues involving ground disturbance and underground and/or overhead utilities.
- Have knowledge reading locate sheets and crossing agreements.
- Demonstrate an understanding of grades and interpret roadway plans and drawings as required.
- Understanding rigging and hoisting operations. Ground Disturbance Level 2 and Rigging certificate required
- Valid OFA and H2S certificate considered an asset.
- Class 5 Drivers License or higher considered an asset
- Experience working in heavy civil construction or road building considered an asset.
- Site Ready BC including WHMIS required (details will be provided by BCIB upon employment)